Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Unplugged

Hey guys!

It sure has been a while since I made a blog post, I have really been slacking. I'm going to try and improve this over the course of the next couple weeks :)

Anyway, as many of you who follow me on Facebook and Instagram may have seen, my husband (Tim) and I "unplugged" this past weekend.

What does "unplugged" mean?

Well, it basically means we detached ourselves from our phones, tablets, computers, and television. I had brought this idea up to Tim months ago, thinking it may improve our marriage and overall well being. Not that our devices were having a "negative" impact on our relationship, but there were definitely moments where we both would be lost in social media on Facebook and I would think, "how much time did we just waste nosing around other peoples lives rather than focusing on us?"

Since Tim's job is very demanding and the majority of my work demand comes in the evenings, I really felt like we were becoming disconnected with each other. Early last week I came downstairs to find a flyer Tim had taken out of his Cabela's catalog which was a pledge to disconnect. The flyer encouraged you to take a day to disconnect, but Tim and I decided we would do the entire weekend.

Disconnecting wasn't as nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. In fact, it was pretty relieving. I wasn't worried about checking in with a challenge group, messaging someone back, or curious about the latest posts on Facebook or Instagram. My body was relieved to give my eyes a rest from the screens and my head was at ease from the chaos of drama on social media.

One thing that was somewhat difficult was not being able to "look stuff up". Whenever Tim or I have a wondering or questioning about anything we ALWAYS look it up, typically on our phones. This was honestly somewhat challenging. However, we figured that whatever needed "looked up" would wait until Monday.

I remember when I was a young child and I did not have a cell phone. I rarely used the computer, and the television was hardly ever on. I spent the majority of my time outside, or with my friends. It's crazy to think about how dependent we've become on our devices and how little actual connection we have with people.

It's easy to shoot someone a text or message, but it takes real work to go spend time with someone. Tim and I are normally so busy during the week and even the weekends that it's difficult to find that connection sometimes. It was truly refreshing to just spend time together, just the two of us with the world turned off.

Tim and I spent the day Sunday hiking at a trail near our home. I made us a nice healthy breakfast prior, then we were off for the day. We spent the day together in nature, which was so relaxing. We hiked a little over 7 miles and then made our way home. We got cleaned up, played a few games of bananagrams, then went to bed early. It was truly an amazing day.

Although our devices and social media are great tools, it is important to focus on the bigger picture and what's really important in our lives. Is it more important that I check what this person said (who I haven't spoken to since high school) on Facebook, or should I kiss my husband and/or ask him about his day instead? I challenge anyone who's reading this to find time to disconnect yourself from the craziness of devices and social media. Spend time with someone who you really care about. Look at them when you talk to them instead of at your phone. Eat at the dinner table instead of the television. Go outside and just sit, leave your phone inside. You'll be glad you did.

I'll end with a quote I found the day after we decided to unplug which really spoke volumes to both Tim and I. Also, below are a few photo's from our hike :)

"There is no Wi-Fi in the forest, but I promise you will find a better connection."

In Health & Happiness,
Jessica



No comments:

Post a Comment